Friday, June 8, 2018

Welcome Back!

I've decided after a long hiatus to try to revive my progressive rock music blog. Over the past several years I've struggled to keep up with it since I got married and then returned back to school. Life was fairly busy for a while, but I've missed writing and thought it would be the perfect time to get back into it. I just wanted to kind of re-introduce myself and what the purpose of this blog is. I'll begin by saying that I'm not a very critical person, and I don't enjoy writing negative things. What I like to do is write about the things that I love, so my purpose with this blog is to share music that I'm passionate about. So, don't expect any negative reviews- if I happen to not like an album, I prefer not to listen to it much and would therefore prefer not to write about it as well. But I'm hoping if anybody reads this, that they are maybe inspired by my reviews to check out some new music they might not have otherwise looked into.

I'm still not completely sure all the things that I want to do in this blog- I'm still deciding how ambitious I want to be. But, what I do know for sure is that I will be posting reviews of new albums that I come across that I love and that are within the Progressive Rock realm. I want to try to catch up on all the 2018 albums that I've really enjoyed and then by the end of the year, have a wrap-up post that highlights all my favorite music of the year.

I have decided on a simple 5 star rating system as well to give some idea of how I feel about each album. In summary:
1 Star: A bad album that is unlistenable to me
2 Stars: A mediocre album that may have a couple decent tracks or moments, but overall is meandering and uninteresting
3 Stars: A good album that is may be uneven in spots but has some highlights and is an enjoyable listen
4 Stars: A fantastic album that is solid from start to finish
5 Stars: A masterpiece; on the short-list of my favorite all-time albums

As I'm sure you could gather from my previous statement, there will most likely never be 1 or 2 star albums featured on this blog. I will mostly focus on the 3-star and above albums. I plan on a 5-star album to be a very rare thing, only reserved for the most special albums.

 So, I hope that anyone who might visit here finds something to enjoy and that you find my reviews interesting. I'll try my best to keep up with writing about all the latest and greatest albums I come across in the Progressive Rock world. Below is my first review after coming back for the excellent new Spock's Beard album, Noise Floor. Hopefully this gives you some idea of what to expect. Thanks, and have fun listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment